Ford Fiesta - should I keep it or return?

Moottori, voimansiirto, viritys jne.
remonC

Ford Fiesta - should I keep it or return?

Viesti Kirjoittaja remonC »

Hey,

I bought this Ford Fiesta Trend 2012 1.25 44kw 202tkm a couple days ago. After bringing the car, I took it for an condition check. They found these issues with the car. Is it worth keeping this car or return it? The car lacks service history, it had last service done in 2017 at 110tkm with occasional change of filter, oils done but no record but I feel I got it for decent price at 3.3k at Huutokaupat which seems to be lower than market price. Note that, the jakohihna was changed in 2021. Not sure if it helps, but the shop where I took the car was a certified Ford repair store. See the service history and kuntotarkastus report. What would you do? Please advise. I'm willing to dish out some money for repair 500-1000e, but not if it's a lost cause. Please ask me for more info.

All pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/c57biLX
duckworth
Viesti:

Re: Ford Fiesta - should I keep it or return?

Viesti Kirjoittaja duckworth »

Well this time I can say you don´t need to worry about that cambelt :D According that checklist oil, filter and spark plugs (after market) had been changed in some point, but it seems like there isn´t any mark when they´ve been done. All and on, doing oil and filter change doesn´t cost much so I would go for it anyway. Sparkplugs aren´t expensive either, allthough if the engine is running smooth without any bogging, there is no rush :)
Opel on pop, mutta Ford on progee

-BMW 325i N52B25 "käyttis ish?"
-Omega B2 2.2 16v "talviauto"
-Omega B2 3.0 V6 "varaharrasteauto"
-Sierra Mk1 -86 "Group A- wnb"

BOREHAMMER
duckworth
Viesti:

I looked rest of that list as well, there was mention that rear beam bushes are gone and also right track rod end does have play, so when you got those sorted you do need to take car for allignment, which costs depending where you do it, about 100€.

Then those oil leaks, the cam cover isn´t that bad to fix, but the inner driveshaft seals could be more expensive, after all gearbox oil will come out while that is beeing done, so that add some to the costs.

For my personal experience I´d say none those isn´t that big deal if you can do it yourself, and only cost would be the spare parts. But if everything has to be done somewhere else, you´ll end up spending more to the labours as the list shows.

BOREHAMMER
remonC

I'm not a mechanic so I do not know how to fix those. Do you think the price for these are too high? Should I ask for quotes from Autojerry and such? Given these problems and the history, do you think this car is worth keeping at this 3.3k + repair and servicing?
duckworth
Viesti:

remonC kirjoitti: 06 Maalis 2024 22:17 I'm not a mechanic so I do not know how to fix those. Do you think the price for these are too high? Should I ask for quotes from Autojerry and such? Given these problems and the history, do you think this car is worth keeping at this 3.3k + repair and servicing?
Prices look like normal in todays standards, allthough it is always wise to ask offers from other garages, that´s for sure :)

Regardless of generic opinions, if asked from me, and this in only my personal preference, I don´t think that 1000€ is bad at all, considering those fixes has to done propably once in ten years. If you are giong the keep that car for 5 or more years, I´d say go for it.

BTW those Hankook tyres aren´t the best ones even on that price range in temrs of grip on snow, but I quess at this point of the year you don´t need to worry about them too much :D

BOREHAMMER
Taunusautomaatti

Viesti Kirjoittaja Taunusautomaatti »

Prize level of 2012 Fiesta 200tkm is about 4.5-5.5k.
So if you invest 1k for repair, price is still ok.
(all of those need some repair if you do same test for them)

Aftermarket parts are not any problem.
And missing maintenance marking is not problem if no extra noise when motor running.
And if you open oil fill cap when motor is running and it not blow air out of filling hole too much then motor is still ok.

1.25l motor is ok choise.
1.0l is just like playing "russian roulette" with a pistol.
remonC

Which of the faults should I repair immediately as the katsastus is coming up in October? I was told by the shop that the tierod is serious and needs definite fixing, the rest were not so serious and could be done over time.
duckworth
Viesti:

Well those oil leaks, depending from the inspector, might be just advisorys, but loose track rod end and bushes at the rear are definately MoT fail, so those got to be fixed first.

BOREHAMMER
remonC

Which one are they from the list if you could point to and how much do you think is it going to cost?
Taunusautomaatti

In case this car is my car I will repair first….
- If oil looks dirty in measurement stick then Oil and oil filter, spark plugs and airfilter
- Aircon service
- Rocker cover seal
- Right tierod end.

and if electrical windows not moving then diagnostic.

If car dont pass "katsastus" then you have 30days time to fix it and new "katsastus" pays only about 25eur.
duckworth
Viesti:

Taunusautomaatti kirjoitti: 08 Maalis 2024 07:52 In case this car is my car I will repair first….
- If oil looks dirty in measurement stick then Oil and oil filter, spark plugs and airfilter
- Aircon service
- Rocker cover seal
- Right tierod end.
I´d add rear axle bushes and allignment for that list, otherwise you´ll end up ruin your tires due to incorrect toe angles.

BOREHAMMER
remonC

Okay, the price does include alignment. I'm a bit confused but do I have to fix the rear spring rubber top mount also when I fix the rear axle bushing as they grouped it together? Does this cause uneven wear on the tire like the tierod play?
Taunusautomaatti

Fiestas rear suspension and springs are so easy to change and parts are very cheap if aftermarket parts.
Like spring 15e/pcs. And top part 7 e. Change takes about 10min per side in home, no need special tools...
So should not be expensive in repair shop.

But before changing rear bushing and spring parts I would check tyres. If they seems normal. Not hurry to repair. If other edge is worn only then repair.
And then after 2 month same check. If tyres not worn, car feels normal and katsastus dont reject those parts then just drive. :thumbup:
remonC

Oh wow. I got quoted 300 for it.
Taunusautomaatti

You can see part prices ... https://aeromotors.fi/kataloog/ford/fie ... 802;t17702
But of course this is part price....work cost also....

I made our 6.th car Fusion (most parts same as in fiesta) rear suspensions change to both side + top parts+duct covers+bumbers. All parts below 80eur.
And it takes about 1 hour to change all in own yard.
Fiesta parts are very with reasonable prices.
remonC

Overall, would you keep this Fiesta knowing that it has missing history between 2017-2024 (well 2021 they do change the jakohihna and clearly have done at least some maintenance but off book) of about 90tkm and fixing those issues provided that you got in a good deal like me, so 3k when the market price is easily 4k-6k? Personally for me, it's not a big issue to fix those problem gradually financially and as it has katsastus is October, I can fix all of them before that
Taunusautomaatti

There is a lot of cars which dont have official maintenance history because driver have done those maintenance works by himself. And those can be even dome better than in official garage.
Like I make almost all maintenance by myself but i mark to maintenance book all works done.
Of course it is possible that car have been without maintenance also.
There is some things than can be checked like how oil is looking like. Look airfiler, is it clean or totally dirty. Oil filter outside clean or rusty etc...
Break pads totally work or quite well...etc....
If those are ok then basic maintenance have been done.

And of you open oil fill cap when motor running in idle you can see if motor is worn (= high pressure) or not ( = almost no pressure).
remonC

Okay, thanks for all these comments.

Just a few more question.
- Takajousten ylätuki huonossa kunnossa.
- Takapuslat. Vaihtokunnossa.
Does this mean Rear axle bushings and Rear spring rubber top mount?
Taunusautomaatti

that is good question what means "takajousten ylätuki"
There is only thin rubber plate and metallic structure which part of those is worn or rusty?
Or does it mean top part of suspension the bumper.

Bushing...maybe good to ask from some repair shop...is it really need to change.
Vastaa Viestiin